Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Tuesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: January 19, 2021















My time: 6:22, one minute faster than average.

Theme: CAKE!  The five themed answers are all compound words, and both parts of each compound word can be followed by CAKE.  For example, WHITE RICE: white cake and rice cake.  Or FRUIT CUP: fruitcake and cupcake.

Mmm.... cake. 

Did you notice there were two Mickeys in the puzzle?  MANTLE and ROURKE.  Missing Rooney.

I was a bit puzzled by "buildup at the mouth of a river."  It's DELTA, but I thought that referred to the shape of the river, or the place where the river opened up.  Apparently, I've been using this incorrectly all my life!  It turns out that a DELTA is a landform created by deposition of sediment that is carried by a river as the flow leaves its mouth and enters slower-moving or stagnant water.

AS FOR "workers' right grp. since 1965," I put *OSHA but it's EEOC.  I have made that exact mistake before.  So, OSHA was established in 1971 under President Nixon, that worker-loving left-wing pinko commie.  And the EEOC was established, as the clue says, in 1965 by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

ARI Melber, legal correspondent for MSNBC, last appeared on November 25, 2020.

Clever clues: "Driving force?" is MOTOR.  "Figure of speech?" is ORATOR.

I enjoyed this theme!  It's interesting that so many words not only can precede cake but that so many of those words can form compound words.  It was fairly easy, so I don't know why I didn't URN a better time.  Too busy thinking about CAKE I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment