Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Tuesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: July 14, 2020


























My time: 12:16.  Is that the worst Tuesday ever posted?  I don't know.  What the hell happened?!  This is an embarrassing solve time.  Just terrible.

Theme: common phrases recast as musical titles with an adjective following.  This leads to some rather prolix, tedious clues.  So, for example, "Positive, albeit terse, review of a 2003 Broadway musical?" is WICKED GOOD.  "Super-cold spell on the set of a 1996 Broadway musical?" is RENT FREEZE.  "Performance venue for a 1977 Broadway musical?" is ANNIE HALL.  And "Souvenir from a 1968 Broadway musical?" is HAIR SHIRT.  (That last one is pretty clever.)

So, I guess, first of all I don't know much about musicals.  I mean, I've heard of all of these, but it's not my wheelhouse.  Maybe my brain just refused to think about or process those long clues as soon as I saw the phrase "Broadway musical."

Also, I had a lot of wrong answers.  For "grant entry to" I had *ADMIT for a long time; it's LET IN.  For "one of the First nations of Canada" I put *ERIE but it's CREE.  This is precisely the same mistake I made on October 17, 2017; I'm an idiot.  For "workplace discrimination law enforcer, for short" I put and stuck with *OSHA for too long.  It's EEOC.  For "old piano's sound" I put *PLUNK which left me with *WRUNG for "all wet," which kindasorta works but it's the other meaning of "wet" and it's WRONG.  For "Jennifer of Dirty Dancing" I put *BEAL but it's GREY.  Jennifer Beal isn't even anyone!

Jacob's first wife? I blanked for so long.  It's LEAH, as explained on October 8, 2018.

Anyway, this was a cavalcade of errors.  Hopefully I'll be more ALERT on tomorrow's puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment