Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Wednesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: July 15, 2020

























My time: 6:24, just a minute slower than the record!  Now that's more like it. 

Theme: the grid is a volcano, with MOUNT at the top, and A/S/H and L/A/V/A appearing down the sides of the cone in circled letters.  I didn't notice this until the grid was completed.

New to me is the SHIBUYA district or ward, a fashion center in Tokyo.  The fashion district surrounds the eponymous railway station, one of the busiest in the world.

I think I've heard that OKRA is called "ladies fingers" before, but I don't think I could have answered that without crossfill.

I liked the fill on this one: PHALANX, SITS PAT, MEDIA-SHY, CAMPER VAN, DRESS CODE, TEXAS HOLD 'EM, PEA-SHOOTER.  Was this a fun puzzle?  Yes INDEEDY.  It would be more impressive with some volcano-related answers, but you can't have everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment