Monday, September 14, 2020

Monday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: September 14, 2020

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 3:30, a tie for the record of 12/17/18!  If only I'd typed a few letters correctly the first time.

Theme: HAS "IT" BOTH WAYS.  The four themed Across answers feature the letter combination ITTI. or it forwards and then backwards.

I don't think I've ever stopped to find out the actual meaning of the word SHILL, a word I use and thought I was familiar with.  It doesn't mean a hawker or swindler, but rather the accomplice of a conman or swindler.  I did know the verb meaning, to praise or act as a face for.

The main thing that slowed me down was the Italian word for seven.  Since I don't parlo Italiano, I put in *SIETE as a placeholder and then had to change it from the crosses to SETTE.

I do not remember a jeans brand called SASSON being popular in the '80s, although I was alive in the '80s, albeit not popular.  They are not related to Vidal Sassoon, although the similarity is intentional.

"Three-time Pro Bowler" ODELL Beckham Jr. was featured, and clued exactly the same way, on January 21, 2019.  I had forgotten him and once again thought he was a bowler.

A fun and easy Monday, with the kind of theme I like, one that plays on spellings of words.  Of course, at this rate of solving, the theme doesn't help because it's finished by the time you put everything together, but it's a well constructed puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment