Monday, July 13, 2020

Moday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: July 13, 2020

























My time: 5:16.  That's only a bit faster than average.  I was surprised that it took this long.

Theme: things you might see on a MAH JONG TILE.  These are PLUM BLOSSOM ("flower of the tree Prunus nume"), RED DRAGON  ("winged beast on the Welsh flag"), and NORTH WIND ("bringer of cold weather").  The first clue is ridiculously recondite; the second is misleading, as it asks for a beast and gives a color plus beast instead (a better clue might say, "what you see on the Welsh flag").

Never heard of the song "Dark Lady" so didn't know that it was CHER.  It was a #1 hit in 1974.

I'm also not familiar with the hairstyle option TWISTS.  They're like small dreadlocks.

Also new to me is the amusingly-named Dee REES, director of Mudbound and Bessie, films that I've never seen.

For "oh no!" I put *DRAT.  I was certainly not expecting CRAP from the Old Gray Lady.  Oh, and BTW, "take that" is BOOYAH?  Really?

I didn't think this puzzle was OUTTASIGHT.  Not the BEST of puzzles.  The theme is pretty meh and the clues weren't particularly helpful or clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment