Monday, January 18, 2021

Monday's New York Times crossword puzzle csolved: January 18, 2021















My time: 4:48, 48 seconds faster than average.

Theme: American cities that share the name of European cities, clued as "City where you won't find [European landmark in the namesake city]." 

For example, "city where you won't find the Eiffel Tower" is PARIS, TEXAS.  It gets gradually more recondite from there.  The Parthenon is in Athens, Greece, not ATHENS, GEORGIA, but I didn't know Virgil's tomb is in Naples (not NAPLES, FLORIDA).  Virgil is not actually buried there; it's more of a monument.

El Greco was mentioned has having lived and done landscapes of Toledo, Spain on September 27, 2018. But I forgot that, so didn't know right off that the El Greco Museum is in Toledo.  (Not TOLEDO, OHIO.)

I have seen a few of the Bourne movies, but didn't know whether he worked for the CIA or the *NSA.

While there was no new material, I still thought this was pretty difficult for a Monday.  The city theme gave me, a geography idiot, pause; and I thought somewhat sly clues like "get ready to hem, say" for PIN UP deviated from the typical straight definitions of a Monday.  And PASCHAL isn't really a Monday word.  Also, there were some either/or spots like *KRAMER instead of ELAINE for Jerry Seinfeld's pal, or PEALS instead of *TOLLS for "rings, as a church bell." 

I did like the clue "Here comes Poindexter!" for NERD ALERT.

No comments:

Post a Comment