Thursday, November 19, 2020

Thursday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: November 19, 2020















My time: 9:56, five minutes faster than average.

Theme: CAN I BUY A VOWEL?  Like, so I can figure out these damned clues about "Wheel Of Fortune?"  ("It debuted on 1/6/75.")   Or, as it's rendered in the puzzle, WHL F FRTN, vowel-less?  

The thing is, I sensed very early on that this would be about "Wheel Of Fortune."  I saw the V in the Merv Griffin (MRV GRFFN) answer.  I saw the beginning V in the co-host, Vanna White (VNN WHT).  I just didn't see how they could fit.  It took a while, but the Down crosses convinced me that Merv Griffin lacked vowels in the puzzle.  Then I filled in the other Wheel-related answers fairly easily, and the capper, CAN I BUY A VOWEL, came last.

The other Wheel-related answers, that is, except for RSTLN[e], which are the letters you get for free in the final solo guessing puzzle.  I'm not a Wheel-watcher, so I didn't know the exact letters to put.

The other nswrs are B[a]NKR[u]PT and P[a]T S[a]J[a]K.

Oh, and a bonus theme clue is SPIN, "turn in a popular game show."

Now, on to the fll.

I'm so clueless about sports I didn't even know that the 76ers were PHI.  That's Philadelphia.

"Noted 'retiree' of '03" is SST.  That refers to the Concorde, which ended in 2003

I didn't know that UAE has no rivers, but it sure makes sense.  However, it does have wadis!

IRMA was the memorable hurricane of 2017.  The first Category 5 hurricane of the 2017 season, Irma caused widespread and catastrophic damage throughout its long lifetime, particularly in the northeastern Caribbean and the Florida Keys.  It was the most intense hurricane to strike the continental United States since Katrina in 2005.  The word "Irmageddon" was coined soon after the hurricane to describe the damage caused by the hurricane.

For the channel that airs "Love It or List It," I knew of the show, but I put *HDTV at first.  I was thinking, "Home Development TV?" as I typed it in.  It's HGTV, or Home and Garden TV.

I don't know actor NEAL McDonough by name, but I know his face.  He plays Dum-Dum Dugan in the Marvel movies, and Damien Darhk, whoever that is, in the DC shows.

"Where nearly half of the US's publicly traded cos. are incorporated" is DEL. Apparently more than 60% of Fortune 500 companies incorporate in Delaware.  Delaware has a special court, the Court of Chancery, to rule on corporate law disputes without juries. Corporate cases do not get stuck on dockets behind the multitude of non-corporate cases. Instead, Delaware corporations can expect their legal disputes to be addressed promptly and expertly by judges who specialize in corporate law.

"City that rhymes with Rosanna in a #1 George Strait country hit" is TEXARKANA, and the song in question is "All My Ex's Live in Texas." It goes: "Rosanna's down in Texarkana / Wanted me to push her broom / Sweet Eileen's in Abilene / She forgot I hung the moon."

"Little waves, in Spain" is TILDES.  This is extremely lame.  I thought that the etymology might be Spanish words meaning something like "little waves," but no.  It seems to just be a bad description of them.

ISU, Iowa State University, home to the Cyclones, is in Ames.

Pachelbel's Canon in D is in D MAJ, as noted on April 18, 2018.  I really hate key questions.

"Cheese in moussaka" was a clue for FETA on August 9, 2017.

Clever clues: "They turn on machines" is COGS.  "Groundwork of a plant manager?" is SEED BED.  "Something there's almost no point to?" is EPEE.  "Round things?" is BEERS.  "One way to the top" is T-BAR.

Well, this was an unusual Thursday!  I found it to be a confounding and ultimately satisfying challenge.  Why, I might OPINE that this is the bst pzzl f th wk!

No comments:

Post a Comment