Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Wednesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: November 18, 2020















My time: 6:29, three minutes faster than average.

Theme: TWO PEAS IN A POD, or rather two P's in a circled square. 

The first one I got was "betting game in which you could lose your shirt?" which is funny, and pretty obviously STRI[P P]OKER.  I saw it was too long for the squares given, but noting the CO[PP]ERTOP "signature feature of a Duracell battery" at the cross, I caught on, and started just dribbling PP everywhere there was a circled square.  It really helped with the solve.  Actually, the capper explanation answer came last.

Never heard of CREVE Coeur, Missouri. It's named for the lake of the same name.  Supposedly, the tale goes that the lake "formed itself into a broken heart" after an Indian princess's unrequited love for a French fur trapper led her to jump from a ledge overlooking the lake.

It's probably come up before, but I should remember that LEGATO means smoothly in music.

I feel really dumb about this one.  I saw "Adkins, for Adele" and put *DIET PLAN.  In my defense, I'd been reading about her weight loss recently.  In my prosecution, the diet is spelled Atkins, idiot.  Adkins is her LAST NAME.  Adele Laurie Blue Adkins, to be exact.

RIGA, the capital of Latvia, has been an answer pretty often

"Farm-share program CSA" just came up on November 1.

1974 Spanish language hit "ERES TU" appeared on March 12, 2018.

Clever clue: "What might be taken to go?" is EX-LAX.

I thought this was unusually easy.  Anyway, that ends another wild Wednesday!  Where's the WRA[P P]ARTY?

No comments:

Post a Comment