Monday, November 23, 2020

Monday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: November 23, 2020















My time: 4:27, one minute faster than average.

Theme: IDS.  That is, "two forms of them are found in 18-, 38- and 60-Across," but this is misleading.  It's meant to be a play on the common request for "two forms of ID" like in the TSA line, but what these answers actually have are two instances of "ID" within them: DIDGERIDOO, BRIDESMAID, and the clunky MID-OCEAN RIDGE.  (Clunky it may be, but it is a genuine term in geology.)

I put a bad answer for the clue "sign of a wound's healing," *SCAR, when that comes after the real answer, SCAB.  For "minor fender damage" I put the common *DENT but it turned out to be DING.  Mistakes like those and the answer MID-OCEAN RIDGE all slowed me down.

I didn't know that OBAMA was once president of the Harvard Law Review.  He was the "first black elected to head the review," according to the Times in 1990.

OSAKA came up on January 2, 2018 as Japan's second largest metropolis; today it's clued as "third-largest city in Japan."  Apparently Yokohama has a million more people.

TEMPE is the city located between Phoenix and Mesa, running west to east on I-10.

More geography: Oakland and Alameda, south of Oakland, are both located in the EAST BAY, which a region on the coast of the San Francisco Bay.

I'm unfamiliar with both tennis players ANDY Murray, a Briton with three Grand Slams, and ANDY Roddick, an American who has won a single Grand Slam.

The racecar-driving Unsers, ALS father and son both, came up on December 3, 2018.

This was a just okay Monday.  I thought the clues were fairly vague for a Monday, which is fien because I like a little challenge.  But mainly, the "joke" of the theme was, as I noted, based on misuse of the word "form."  Oh well, THAT'LL DO.

No comments:

Post a Comment