Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Wednesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: September 30, 2020

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 5:36, just seconds from the record! 

Theme: FOUL LANGUAGE — in other words, phrases that start with words that are synonyms of foul.  RANK AMATEUR, STINKING RICH, RIPE OLD AGE, and FUNKY CHICKEN.

A sura, or surah, is a chapter of the Quran.  In ISLAM, surahs are recited during the standing portions of prayers. Surah Al-Fatiha, the first chapter of the Quran, is recited in every unit of prayer, and some units of prayer also involve recitation of all or part of any other surah.  

Continuing with the Middle East theme, Qom is the seventh largest city in Iran and the capital of Qom province.  Its IRANIAN inhabitants consider it a holy city.

Despite never having seen any of "American Idol," and being only vaguely aware of his existence, I somehow pulled the name of judge LUKE Bryan out of the zeitgeist.

For "neighbor of Oahu" I put *LANAI but it's KAUAI.  As I wrote on October 9, 2018, it goes Niihau, Kauai, Oahu, Molkokai, Lanai, Kahoolawe, Maui, Hawaii. 

Cable channel TRU TV was last seen November 13, 2017.  I got it solely from the crossfill. 

Clever clue: "Some buns" is UPDOS.

The theme gave me a chuckle after the fact, but I didn't pay much attention to it while solving.  This was short and sweet Wednesday.  I'LL SAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment