Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Tuesday's New York Times crossword solved: August 11, 2020

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 4:37, just 22 seconds shy of the record!  Maybe if I hadn't put *SIDES instead of EDGES for "things spheres lack."

Theme: E-I-E-I-O.  Four Across answers have those vowels, and only those vowels, in order.

I didn't think that "Vietnamese noodle salads" would be VERMICELLI BOWLS, but while the name is the same, these noodles are made of rice.

I'm not Hip to the Musics of Today, so I didn't know EVE was the rapper behind "Let Me Blow Ya Mind."  It features Gwen Stefani!

ROLLO (Hrólfr in his native Norse) was the Viking who first ruled over Normandy.  His successor was the much cooler-named William Longsword.

I'm not very good with geography, so I can't picture YEMEN as the "heel" of the Arabian Peninsula.  And the UAE is the toe!

Dutch master Frans HALS is best known for his picture of a jester with a lute, variously known as Jester with a Lute and The Lute Player.

I was under the impression that the long glasses of beer that I've seen at a local pub were just a modern gimmick, but apparently "yard of ALE" dates back to the 17th century.

AS TO this puzzle, it was no SLOG.  Gotta go!

No comments:

Post a Comment