Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Wednesday's New York Times crosssword puzzle solved: August 12, 2020

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 7:11, pretty good!

Theme: the OHIO PLAYERS, the band, inspiring Across answers based on various sports teams from Ohio: the Cincinnati Bengals (NFL), the Cleveland Browns (NFL), the Cincinnati Reds (MLB), and the Cleveland Indians (MLB).

Speaking of sports, ELGIN Baylor is a basketball player who was with the Lakers back when they were the Minneapolis Lakers, which makes sense.

"The Thunderbirds are in it, for short" is USAF.  The Thunderbirds is the nickname of the US Air Force Demonstration Squadron, like the Navy's Blue Angels.

For "actress Sedgwick" I put *EDIE of the Warhol era, but actually it's KYRA, Edie's cousin.  She's married to Kevin Bacon.

"Picnic" and "Bus Stop" playwright William INGE has show up before.

There was very little troubling me on today's puzzle.  I felt like all the clues were pretty easy, sometimes even over-explained (like the "dad joke" NACHO cheese).  Everything rather straightforward.  So now I'm going to STEEL myself for tomorrow's undoubted vagueness.

No comments:

Post a Comment