Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Wednesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: July 1, 2020

























My time: 10:10.  I am on a roll lately — a crap roll!  My average for Wednesday is 9:50.  Ugh.

Theme: SOCIAL CAPITAL, inspiring three pun clues for three well-known phrases: FOLLOW THE MONEY is "joins a Federal Reserve Facebook group?", POSTS BOND is "uploads a photo of government security?", and SHARES THE WEALTH is "retweets a photo of the US gold repository?"

This puzzle is contagious.  It has a CYST and a STYE.  Gross.

I did not like the answer OAK DESK for "centerpiece of the Oval Office."  I mean, I know it's a great desk, but aren't expensive desks found in most high-powered office spaces?  If we wanted to focus on the White House desk it should have been more specific.  It's called the Resolute Desk.

The Atlanta public transport system is MARTA, which stands for Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority.

I like the inclusion of OX-EYE daisy.  That's good fill.

Never heard of California's EEL River, in the early days a source of salmon and timber.

"Flashdance" actor Michael NOURI is a household name in the Nouri household.

Things that have appeared before but that I still had trouble with: I did not remember CNN's Erin Burnett from way back in 2017.  I couldn't come up with women's golfer Lorena OCHOA, last cited in 2018.  Fiji's largest city and capital, SUVA, also came up in 2017.

Well, time to GOA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment