Monday, September 4, 2017

Monday, September 4, 2017

Today's time: 7:23.

--

I actually tried to go quickly today, and ended up with a rather unremarkable time.  This one was especially tricky for a Monday, or maybe I was just trying too hard.  Either way, I enjoyed the BBQ theme, with meat items in phrases such as RESERVOIR DOGS, MILITARY BRATS, and WAITS IN THE WINGS.

I am the single most clueless-about-sports American male, an ongoing series: RBI is a baseball stat standing for runs batted in.  You get points for hitting the ball such that people run home!  What a fun game.

In other sports news, "fast, sharp-breaking curveballs" are apparently called BACKDOOR SLIDERS.

I'm not so good at anything except book learning department: A "letter-shaped track in metalworking" is a T-SLOT.  The T-shaped piece fits into the negative-T-shaped aluminum piece like so.

I'm really not that familiar with CITGO, though I'm sure I've gotten gas at one.  Likewise MAACO is not in my immediate mental grab-bag.

The tarsus (plural TARSI) is actually not one bone, but a cluster of seven bones in the ankle.  Not to be confused with Saul of Tarsus, later Paul the Apostle, of whom it is said that "he fell to the earth" before a vision of Jesus and thereupon changed his name and his ways.  No doubt Saul fell to earth because his tarsus broke.

The volcano in Hawaii is called Mauna KEA.  The name means White Mountain or possibly Sky-Father mountain.  It sounds like key, a vast key pointing to the sky, the tallest mountain in Hawaii.  I originally had *LOA, which is its lesser-known neighbor.  It's lower than Mauna Kea!  Ha!

Clever clues: "welcome sight?" is MAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment