Saturday, January 30, 2021

Saturday's New York Times crossword solved: January 30, 2021















My time: 8:09, thirty seconds short of the record!  I didn't think this one was exactly ROCKET SCIENCE.  Let's GET GOING.

Obviously, I never knew (or cared) that ATL "blew a 28-3 Super Bowl lead" in the third quarter.  This was Super Bowl LI (2017), where the Falcons really dropped the ball against the Patriots.  Final score?  34-28.

"Setting of a 1945 conference" is tricky because there was one at YALTA, also known as the Crimea Conference and code-named Argonaut, held February 4–11, 1945, between Stalin, Churchill, and FDR.  However, there was also one at MALTA held from January 30 to February 3, 1945 between FDR and Churchill without Papa Joe.  The first one, y'all are ta come!  The Malta conference is only for me and my friend Churchill.

I remembered that a ROO is called a boomer, flyer, or buck when I was reminded of it by the clue about the word for female kangaroo, doe, this Thursday.

The first black sorority in America, AKA, came up on October 21, 2018.

I enjoyed the plethora of clever and wry clues: "Lock holder?" is MOUSSE.  "Like some brows and berets" is KNIT.  "Frosty air?" is ICINESS.  Likewise, "de-frosting?" is DETENTE.  "Lines in an application?" is CODE.  "Holding up the line for?" is CUING.

 I love crosswords that have such long and little-used fill, like YOU HATE TO SEE IT, IT'S NOW OR NEVER, and MORE POWER TO YOU.  In all, I think this one was remarkably easy for a Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment