Friday, January 29, 2021

Friday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: January 29, 2021















My time: 8:48, six and half minutes faster than average.  Shall we do the fill?  We will.  DONE DEAL.

It took me a couple of minutes to remember that a tarboosh is a hat much like a FEZ. 

I knew NASA had a fancy acronym for a spacewalk, but didn't remember what.  It's EVA, for Extra-Vehicular Activity.

I never saw the movie Sherlock Gnomes, so didn't know that Johnny DEPP voiced the title character.  I think it's a sequel to Gnomeo and Juliet?  They both sound terrible.

Molly Ivins said SATIRE is "the weapon of the powerless against the powerful" in a 1991 "People" interview.  A pretty useless weapon.  I think the powerless would rather have power or money.

MRS. (Nellie?) Lovett is the accomplice of Sweeney Todd who bakes his victims into meat pies.  In the movie she was played by Helena Bonham Carter.  To date, all actresses (who have been eligible) to play the role on Broadway have earned Tony Award nominations.

"George Washington signed America's first one in 1790" got me thinking it might be treaty, but it's PATENT.  It was to Samuel Hopkins, for his new method of making pot ash.  I didn't actually put down treaty, which is good because 1790 is way, way later than the first US treaties (starting immediately in 1776.)

LIESL Von Trapp came up on November 25, 2020, but although I noted then that she's 16 going on 17, I didn't note that she sings a song entitled "Sixteen Going on Seventeen."

HMM... There were very many clever or tangential clues today.  "One might be forever" is STAMP.  "Union deserters" made me laugh when I found out it was EXES.  However, I saw SLEEPER CAR coming from the clue, "choice for those eager to retire and travel."  "Bar exam?" is PUB TRIVIA.  "Basic cleaner" is LYE.  "Talk up?" is PRAY.  "Org. concerned with lab safety?" is SPCA.

I liked the unusual fill today, like CRISIS MODE, PICKY EATER, ACCENT RUG, TERRA COTTA, and BERT AND ERNIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment