Saturday, December 12, 2020

Saturday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: December 12, 2020


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 20:13, about 15 seconds slower than average.  THAT WAS CLOSE!

This one just kicked my can around the block.  The southeast corner especially had me staring at blanks for the longest time.

No surprise that IBM is the company with the most patents per year, every year since 1993.

Never heard of LON Kruger, a basketball player for Kansas State and later the head coach at many colleges.  Kruger is one of only two coaches ever (the other being Tubby Smith) to lead five programs to the NCAA Tournament.

There are two mattress brands in the Times puzzle, Serta and SEALY.  The latter is the one acquired by Tempur-Pedic in 2012.

HOME RUN TROTS ("they cover all the bases") came up on June 18, 2018, but I still had a dilly of a time remembering what they were called.

I have never heard of STOP-TIME, "rhythmic pattern in jazz."  In tap dancing, jazz, and blues, stop-time is an accompaniment pattern interrupting, or stopping, the normal time and featuring regular accented attacks on the first beat of each or every other measure, alternating with silence or instrumental solos.

"Symbol for elasticity, in economics" is ETA.  In economics, elasticity is the measurement of the percentage change of one economic variable in response to a change in another. I'm not convinced that ETA is used, though; in that Wikipedia article, the symbol seems to be epsilon (ε).  And this article says it's epsilon as well.

Apparently the EMMYS were first held on January 25, 1949, at the Hollywood Athletic Club, a social retreat for the elite founded in 1924 by Charlie Chaplin, Rudolph Valentino and Cecil B. DeMille.

Hawaiian peak MAUNA KEA has been in the puzzle a few times, once as perhaps meaning Sky-Father Mountain. Today it's clued as "representation of the first-born child of 'earth-mother' and 'sky father' in Hawaiian culture."  Mauna Kea is considered to be kupuna, the first born, and is held in high esteem. Because Mauna Kea was the first-born child of Papa and Wākea, it's considered the piko (navel, or center of a beginning or ending) of Hawai'i Island. 

"Flares" is a really devious clue for SPLAYS.

I feel like we already had the clue "sch. with the most applications in the US" for UCLA, but I can't find it in the archives.

ET ALIBI is Latin for "and elsewhere," which I feel like I should have guessed a lot quicker.

The movie Arrival has shown up a lot in the puzzle, but not star Amy ADAMS.  She plays expert linguist Louise Banks.

I have never heard of a PLUOT referred to as an aprium.  It's a trademark.  The aprium was invented by Floyd Zaiger in the late 1980s in California.

"Musical piece with a recurring theme" is RONDO

I've never heard of tapenade, so didn't know a possible discard while eating it is OLIVE PIT. 

"State of being broken" for TAMENESS really got me.  Broken as in a wild horse or something; that just was not occurring to me.

"Heads out, slangily" makes one thing of maybe bounces?  But not PEACES.  Like, 'He peaced out of there'??  Or, 'This party is boring, let's peace'?  I don't think so.

Apparently a TATAR is a Siberian native?  I know that's accurate, but I just think of Tatars as Mongols. 

Clever clues: "What doesn't require a return envelope?" is E-FILING; return, get it?!  "Order in the court" is PLEASE RISE.  "Foundation location" is SKIN.  I thought "rafter neighbor" would be something like Huckleberry Finn but it's SHINGLE.  "N as in Nissan?" is NEUTRAL.

I could have done WORSE on this puzzle, but not by much!  Very tough going.  It was not EASY for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment