Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Tuesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: November 3, 2020


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 5:55, about a minute and half faster than average.

Theme: HANDY DANDY, clued as "very convenient" but actually "when read in six pieces, a hint to the answers" in the highlighted squares.  That's 'H' AND 'Y,' 'D' AND 'Y.'  Which means that every themed answer comes in two parts, one starting with H and ending in Y, the other starting with D and ending with Y.  

Hilarity... dilarity.

OH, HEY. Let's do the fill I didn't put in quickly.

For "______ it down a notch" I put *TAKE, then for some reason *TUNE, until I realized it must be TONE.  The phrase with take: About 1,450,000 results.  The phrase with TONE: About 259,000 results.  I rest my case!  I mean, case dismissed.

For "path between buildings" I put *ALLEY but they wanted PEDWAY.

A PORKIE is a cross between a Pomeranian and a Yorkie.  They are tiny and cute.

I've heard of GUYANA, of course, but as geography is not my strong suit, I could not name it as being "between Venezuela and Suriname." I knew it was vaguely up there.

SANDRA Oh was the first Asian woman to host any major award show, the Golden Globes in 2019.  Also she is the first Asian woman to win multiple Golden Globes.

Okay, that's it for this Super-Anxiety-Ridden Tuesday.  I hope we have a democracy by the end of the day.  That would be HUNKY DORY.

No comments:

Post a Comment