Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Tuesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: November 10, 2020

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 6:38, one minute faster than average.

Theme: puns, kind of, about jobs involving drinks.  A "barista?" is a GROUNDSKEEPER, ha ha, and a "sommelier?" is a PORT AUTHORITY.  Those are fine, but "bartender?" is DRAFTSPERSON, which (while I try to use inclusive language) still sounds clunky to me.  I had to stop and think, what the heck is a DRAFTSPERSON?  And FOUNTAINHEAD for "soda jerk?" is pretty weak.  They're the head of the soda fountain?  Like, in charge of it?

I'm just grumpy today.

I was alive to hear one of those "Who Wears Short Shorts" ad campaigns, and they're burned into my consciousness, but I didn't remember it was for NAIR.  I was too young to know what it was about.  The original is a 1957 song by the Royal Teens.

RIOS de las Amazonas is, I guess, the rivers of the Amazon?  I don't know why it's plural.

One of the campuses of U. MASS is in Amherst, where Emily Dickinson was born!

That's it.  Hey, looks like that ugly orange traitor's dirty, underhanded, unsubstantiated, UNFAIR lies are being supported by all his cowardly party members!  Democracy crumbles because of one snowflake's ego. 

No comments:

Post a Comment