Monday, November 9, 2020

Monday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: November 9, 2020


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 4:46, about 45 seconds faster than average.

Theme: phrases that start with PALL, PELL, PILL, POLL, and PULL.

For "thing with pads and claws" I put *CAT but it's PAW.

I doubt very many Americans have heard of OLGA Tokarczuk, winner of the 2018 Nobel prize in Literature.  She won the Man Booker prize for her novel Flights. She also had an intriguing-sounding one called Drive Your Plow Over the Bones Of the Dead.

The clue "melted chocolate, e.g." for GOO is an odd choice.

ENOL has appeared twice on this blog as "hydroxyl-bearing compound," and today as "unstable chemical compound." 

The OTTER is said to have the thickest fur of any mammals?  That astonishes me.  I would have guessed bear.

David Ortiz's nickname Big PAPI last appeared on September 3.

Clever clue: "Raiser of the dead?" is a tricky one for PALLBEARER.  "Necessity for a teacher" is PUPIL.

Whew!  Another Monday in the bag.  It's easy to get jaded, but making puzzles like this is no small feat.  I SALUTE you, crossword makers!

No comments:

Post a Comment