Saturday, August 1, 2020

Saturday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: August 1, 2020

























My time: 11:49, decent.

Lots of fun and impressive fill here, including PLAY WITHIN A PLAY (like in Hamlet), I DIDN'T CATCH THAT, NEAT AS A PIN, NECROMANCY, REDUX ("brought back"), and 'SCUSE ME (you can tell it's got the dropped "ex" because the clue drops its "g": "Comin' through!").

Duke and Olympic basketball coach Mike KRZYEWSKI came up on October 21, 2017.  I remembered he'd come up before but I didn't have a chance of spelling his name correctly.  (Catty-corner to this puzzling K entry is another notoriously difficult K word, KYRGYZSTAN, but I know how to spell that.)

For "stole something?" I put *BOA because I thought a stole is like a scarf but it's more like a shawl and the answer is FUR.

Did you know that Gustav Mahler, like Beethoven, completed his NINTH Symphony and no more?

I haven't heard of the brands Bio-Groom and Wondercide (they kind of sound like made-up brand names in a fictional universe) but it's not much of a stretch to see that they are FLEA shampoos and such.

For "sound heard in a delivery room" I put *SLAP and that's just how they got me.  It's SNIP (brrr).

Who is Mama Quilla?  Also spelled Mama Killa (sweet), she's the INCA goddess of the moon.

I was stymied for a short while by SALT away, an expression that means stow away for future use.  I'll have to salt that away in my memory ATTIC.

Did you know CIARA had a #1 hit in 2004 called "Goodies?"  Did you know there was a singer named CIARA?  You're ahead of me, then.

Franz Joseph HAYDN as "Father of the String Quartet" came up on June 13, 2018.

Clever clues: "Facial joint" is SPA, not anatomy!  "Spit take, perhaps?" is DNA SAMPLE.

Great puzzle!  Not too hard, not too easy.  I was not exactly RACING through it, but it didn't make me say "I RESIGN" either.

No comments:

Post a Comment