Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Wednesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: July 8, 2020


























My time: 6:46, three solid minutes faster than average.

Theme: well-known phrases clued with fonts to make the meaning literal, with a verb and object.
"Having a meal" is STRESS EATING.
"M i l i t a r y t r a i n e e s" is SPACE CADETS.
"Downward dog" is STRIKE A POSE.
"Will you marry me?" is BOLD PROPOSAL.

I didn't know BASS was a show company.  It's G.H. BASS actually.

ROLO!  YOLO!  *NOLO!  Whoops, I mean NOLA.  Those other two threw me off.

More evidence of the Great Black Erasure.  I never heard of OPAL Tometi, the activist who co-founded Black Lives Matter.  I have heard of the march on SELMA, of course.

Florida State athletes!  The Seminoles!  That guy's a proud NOLE!

I did not know that a main ingredient of succotash is LIMA BEAN. Sufferin' succotash!

Martini & ROSSI came up in November, 2018.

Was this a fun, well-done puzzle?  I'D SAY SO.

No comments:

Post a Comment