Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Wednesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: July 22, 2020


























My time: 9:09, just a little slower than average.  This one was slightly tough, like a poorly cooked steak.  Well, let's DIG INTO (not RIP INTO) it.

Theme: it's elementary!  Four phrases have an element hidden within them, plus the symbol for that element.  So, for example, SAFE ENVIRONMENT has iron and Fe it.  There's nothing else in the puzzle to indicate this.  It would be fun if that middle Down said element instead of NY TIMES.

I would have caught on sooner if I had heard of PAUL GOLDSCHMIDT, "six-time All-Star for the Arizona Diamondbacks."

I'm not sure OMG is equivalent to "Shut...UP!, in texts."

Taraji P. HENSON is a new name to me.,  She starred in Hidden Figures, Hustle & Flow, and was the mom in the remake of The Karate Kid.

I don't know anything about chemistry, but here's a rather abstruse review of why an NH2 group is an amino.

I was stymied a bit by "some hop. workers" being LPNS.  Licensed practical nurses (LPN) have about a year of nursing education, often culminating in a certificate.  They mostly work in long term care and have a more limited role than RNs in hospitals.

I was never a Ringhead so I didn't know ROHAN, "kingdom of horsemen in Lord of the Rings."

Shoe company AVIA has appeared a few times before.

Clever clues: "Spike in movie rentals?" is LEE.  "Man of the cloth?" is DIOR.

A nice Wednesday puzzle, a bit of challenge for me, but not exactly wow-inducing.  I like the theme to be more cohesive or relevant to some other thing (like, for example, if this was Tom Lehrer's or Sherlock Holmes' birthday).

No comments:

Post a Comment