Friday, July 3, 2020

Friday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: July 3, 2020

























My time: 15:16, a couple minutes less than average.

For the Italian sauce ingredient I saw ?OMAT at the start and was convinced that it began with tomato.  I therefore ended up with *TOMATO MATO and stuck with it for what is clearly far too long. 

Prince Kūhiō Day, marking the birth of deposed prince-turned-statesman Jonah Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole, is celebrated in HAWAII.

I do not like the phrase "Tech BRO."  It is a subculture whose death has already been proclaimed.

I like how STRAW and BATH, both clued as "it can be drawn," cross.

Clever clues: "Singles player in the 1950s" is PHONO.  "Present time, for short" is B-DAY.  "Record component" is PRIOR.  "Coach for the bench players?" is PIANO TEACHER.

I liked Isabel Allende but had not heard of her novel De AMOR y de Sombra.  The plot sounds like 1984.

ANYHOO, this was a fun puzzle.  Great fill, including ANTHONY BOURDAIN, QUOTIENT, NON SEQUITUR, and others.  I'M IN HEAVEN.  Well, let's not go that far.

No comments:

Post a Comment