Monday, July 9, 2018

Monday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: July 9, 2018

My time: 4:28.

--

John Lampkin has us exercising our brain cells while working our belly muscles laughing at silly puns.  "Arm exercise at a dairy farm?" is CHEESE CURLS.  "Shoulder exercise at a cutlery store?" is FORK LIFTS.  "Wrist exercise at a candy store?" is PEPPERMINT TWISTS.  "Chest exercise at a vintner's?" is WINE PRESS.  And, as the genuinely amusing capper asks, what good are all these different exercises?  DIDDLY SQUAT!

A reamer is a TOOL used in metalworking to enlarge a hole.

For "clip, as a coupon" I put *CUT OUT but that cost me some time, as it's DETACH.  I call foul on that.  They don't mean the same thing. If you DETACH something, it's perforated; you don't cut it out.  Not a great clue.

"One of four for a grand slam" is RBI.  And here I was thinking about tennis.  I didn't even know baseball used that term.

TRURO, Massachusetts, is a resort town on Cape Cod. Over half of the land area of the town is part of the Cape Cod National Seashore, established in 1961 by President John F. Kennedy, and administered by the U.S. National Park Service.

Lots of geography today.  The RHÔNE River runs from the Alps, through Lake Geneva in the west, down through France and into the Mediterranean Sea.

Waikiki Beach came up as an answer on June 18, and today it's part of a clue for its location, O'AHU.

I remembered that KONA is a famous coffee growing region in Hawaii, from its appearance on March 24.

The wetlands plant SEDGE came up on September 16, 2017.

Clever clue: "Good lookers?" is EYES.

Well DAM, this was a funny puzzle.  I DO not mind silly puns in my easy Monday themes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment