Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Tuesday's New York Times puzzle solved: February 27, 2018

My time: 4:57, breaking the old record by thirty seconds!

--

This puzzle, by Ross Trudeau, celebrates some famous thinkers and dreamers: LANGSTON HUGHES, SIGMUND FREUD, SALVADOR DALI, and EVERY BROTHERS.  The theme, of course, is dreams, or rather works with "dream" in the title: "All I Have To Do Is Dream," The Interpretation of Dreams, "Montage of a Dream Deferred," and that surrealist standard, Dali's Dream Caused By the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening.

A couple bits of fill suffer from Crossword Constructor's Unused Plurals Malady: AWS (like "listen to all those aws coming from the baby's room"?), and SOYS (like "these beans are soys"?)

About the only place I got stuck was on "ingredient in Worcestershire sauce," which is TAMARIND.  I could have sworn this word has come up before,  but not according to my search.  Anyway, a TAMARIND is a tree that produces pod-like fruit, which is edible and used in Asian cuisine.

SVEN, the reindeer in Frozen, came up on January 18.

And that's it!  I had no other trouble with this one.  I finished it with BRIO.

No comments:

Post a Comment