Monday, October 23, 2017

Monday, October 23, 2017

Today's time: 4:46, and that's after having taken some cough syrup with codeine.

--

Timothy Polin did this puzzle.  The theme is puns about eras, like "period when psychiatrists ruled:" SHRINK AGE, or "period known for its 007 movies:" BOND AGE.  Ha!

I like the word MOUE and I know it, and frankly I don't think I noticed it at all, having filled with with crossfill, but I think some people would gripe over its inclusion in a Monday puzzle.  Their faces will all have a MOUE as they write stern comments on the New York Times puzzle blog.

I didn't really like LAMS for "flees," but yes, it's a verb.

"Classic clown with a repetitive name" is BOBO.  This refers to Bobo Barnett, a member of the International Clown Hall of Fame.  You know, I always thought of Bobo as a monkey's name.

"Painting surface" is GESSO.  That's tricky because gesso isn't really thought of as a surface (though you do paint on it) so much as a sort of primer.  Per Wikipedia: "Mixing and applying it is an art form in itself since it is usually applied in 10 or more extremely thin layers."

That's all.  I'll PEON my way now.

No comments:

Post a Comment