Thursday, September 14, 2017

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Today's time: 24:49.

--

I happen to know the word DIASTEMA and once that was clear, it helped enormously with the gap between the TOOTH, since obviously the breaks would be in that word somewhere.  So we got TOOT HIS OWN HORN, DO UNTO OTHERS, and SPREAD TOO THIN.

A clever, fun puzzle.

ALAS does indeed come from a Latin word meaning "weary:" lassus.

"Sal's canal, in song" is ERIE and refers to the song "Low Bridge," known by many other names, such as "Mule Named Sal," which was written in 1905 by Thomas S. Allen.  Bruce Springsteen recorded a version which he called "Erie Canal."  The lyric in question goes:
I've got an old mule and her name is Sal
Fifteen years on the Erie Canal
She's a good old worker and a good old pal
Fifteen years on the Erie Canal
Antarctica's ROSS ice shelf is the largest ice shelf on the continent.  On August 25 there was a clue about the Ross Sea, so I had an inkling this might be the answer, but I still wasn't too confident.

I've seen "Grease," but how am I to remember that the high school is called RYDELL?  (for the cross I had *SHIEST instead of SHYEST so that cost me some time.)

So a SEED PEARL is apparently just a small, imperfect pearl.  (I guessed *SAND PEARL at first.)

I speak French, but ILES for "dots in la mer" baffled me for a while.  Islands are dots?

ELON University is a small private liberal-arts college, named for the town it is in, Elon, North Carolina.

I am the single most clueless-about-sports American male, an ongoing series:  Jesse OROSCO has pitched the most games ever.  He threw left-handed and won two World Series and I probably won't remember his name tomorrow.

The DUMONT Television Network was an early TV network that lasted less than eleven years and folded in 1956.  It appears as though it never really got any support from the NFC or even business partners.

I'm a Greek mythology enthusiast practically from birth, but I needed some crossfill to remember NESSUS, the centaur whose poison blood ended up killing Heracles.

Clever clue: "rising notes?" is REVEILLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment