Friday, August 25, 2017

Friday, August 25, 2017

Today's time: 21:02.

--

I did not get around to finish Wednesday this week, which is a shame because the wordplay theme looked fun.  I tried to finish Neil Patrick Harris' Thursday puzzle, but I guess the trickery was just too tricky for me.

Is CNN journalist ANA Cabrera really famous enough to warrant a clue in the NYT puzzle?

I had *SHIVA for "Hindu war deity," but it turned out to be INDRA, which I seriously question.  He's as much of a war god as Zeus or Thor, which is to say, destroying things is part of his purview but not his raison d'etre.  Here is a list of a few others who might fit the description.

ALEWIFE is a fun name for a fish.

The ROSS SEA --- a rare crossword clue with three S's in a row --- is one of the many small seas surrounding Antarctica.  I might have guessed this sooner if I had known that Mt. Erebus is a volcano on Antarctica.

No comments:

Post a Comment