Saturday, September 9, 2017

Saturday, September 9, 2017

My time: 37:01.  Woof!

--

Some of these entries are pretty impressive, like I HEART RADIO (a streaming service), PEACE SUMMIT, PR NIGHTMARE, and SPIDEY SENSE!

"2016 campaign topic" is EMAIL.  Seems so stupid now, doesn't it?  Maybe not.  We don't want a president, or indeed any elected official, so stupid and callous as to use private emails for business use and get hacked.

Things I got quickly and am proud of: "Pool cover" is obviously FELT.  "Loyalty, old-style" is TROTH.  "Crow, for one" is TRIBE, not bird.

Thing I got tricked by: "Oxford designation" is EEE, of Oxford shoes.  For "One getting depressed on the road" I thought I was clever and put *LOW RIDER (get it?  Ha ha!).  It's actually GAS PEDAL.  Oh.

Thing I didn't know I didn't know: I thought Chief Powhatan's daughter, Pocahontas, married John *SMITH.  I didn't know she married some creep named John ROLFE (who also is responsible for the cultivation of tobacco as a cash crop)!  Disney, again your prettified version of history has failed me.

"Person with a mental bloc" (MENSAN) is stupid.

There has been a lot of references to TV shows I don't watch lately.  "United States of Tara" stars TONI Collette. I only know her from Muriel's Wedding, which was a terrific movie.

I am the single most clueless-about-sports American male, an ongoing series: "2-3 or 1-2-2, in basketball" is a jumble of nonsense to me.  ZONE DEFENSE, eh?  If you say so.  Basically it means not one-on-one defense.

"Little Birds" is a book of erotic short stories by Anais NIN.

So unfair: "Team in Houston" is NASA, but they also have the *NETS, which practically fits!

So unfair, also: Hey, there's a phrase in Hebrew.  ANI ohev otach means "I love you."  How am I supposed to know that?

Clever clue: "Minority group" is ADOLESCENTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment