Thursday, February 4, 2021

Thursday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: February 4, 2021















My time: 7:35, just a minute and fifteen seconds shy of my record!

Theme: It's a rebus, with color words in the rebus boxes.  While all of the answers with color words are songs, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the colors picked or their distribution in the grid.

I've heard of poker champ Phil IVEY, but couldn't recall his name without crossfill.  Actually I had a lot of trouble with the northeast corner in general. 

Part of the reason for that is I've never heard of Joe Diffie or his 1993 hit "JOHN DEERE [GREEN]."  However, having looked him up, I now recall that I heard his name when he became one of the first notable people to die of Covid complications.

For "fig. on some IRS forms" I put *SSN but it's EIN, or Employee Identification Number.

"Who AM I?" is a song sung by Jean Valjean in "Les Miserables."  In the song, Valjean decides to turn himself in to save the man who was mistaken for him by Javert. 

And now we come to "secret-indicating gestures," the major reason for my trouble in the northeast corner.  EYE WINKS.  Really?  EYE winks?  What other kind is there?  Mon DIEU, that's weak sauce.

Also, I've never heard of the song "[GREEN] LIGHT," whether the 2017 Lorde song (but it's good), the 2008 John Legend number (ugh), or the 1968 hit by the American Breed (I like that one).

ACAI was established as a South American palm on December 1, 2020.

"Some cameras, in brief" is SLRS, which has probably appeared the most times of any answer in this blog, but I can never seem to get it at first.

Likewise frequent answer political analyst ANA Navarro.

Clever clues: "Stock symbol?" is BRAND.  "Feet in a pound" is PAWS.

And that's this Thursday sorted!  I liked the musical theme, of course.  And there's some good fill here, too, like DIALS IN, ANIMISTS, and ONE IOTA.  I didn't care for EYE WINKS.

No comments:

Post a Comment