Saturday, February 13, 2021

Saturday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: February 13, 2021















My time: 16:25, three minutes faster than average, but ten minutes slower than my record.

I had some trouble with a few clues that gave nothing away in their generic wording.  "Chocolate or caramel," for example, turns out to be HUE.  Or "monitor" for LIZARD.

Apparently some MOTHS don't have mouths.  How do they eat?  They don't!  They live a week, mate, and die!  That's kind of sad.

For "Hajj, e.g." I put *TREK but it's RITE.

I don't like "metaphorical setting in which everything is inverted from the norm" for BIZARRO WORLD.  I mean, I understand that through popular use it's sort of an expression devoid of its original context, but it is primarily a fictional place copyrighted by DC Comics.

Arg, New York Times puzzle, don't remind me how Twitter always sorts your searches by TOP when everyone prefers sorting by most recent.

"Every fault's condemned ERE it be done" is said by Angelo to Isabella in "measure for Measure."  He's sanctimoniously explaining how he must condemn her brother Claudio (for having sex outside of marriage), even though he's open to pardoning her brother if she'll sleep with him, Angelo.  And thenhe condemns Claudio anyway!

I vaguely remembered NELLIE Bly, pioneering investigative journalist who went around the world in 72 days and also exposed cruel practices in the mental asylums of the time.

I am old enough to remember using the programs Drive and Docs, but forgot they were called G SUITE.  It's called Google Workspace now.

I have never heard of the White House Correspondents' Dinner being called NERD PROM.  Ugh.

For "part of a company" I put *PLAYERS, thinking of a touring company, but it's PLATOON.

Apparently SHO is the sister channel of Flix?  I never even heard of Flix.

Championship-winning basketball coach STEVE / KERR was in the blog on September 18, 2018, but I failed to mention that he is the head coach of the Golden State Warriors.

Clever clues: "Wait here!" is RESTAURANT.  "Holiday production?" is BLUES MUSIC.  "Many are under the influence of this at college parties" is PEER PRESSURE.  "Really impress?" is ETCH.  "They have many small teeth" is ZIPPERS — I put *NIPPERS at first!  "Main course?" is SEA ROUTE.

This was a tough Saturday for me!  Lots of punning clues and, as noted, ambiguous clues.  It was still fun, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment