Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Wednesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: January 13, 2012















My time: 6:39, three minutes faster than average.

Theme: phrases clued as jokes about NBA teams.  THE KING'S SPEECH is not clued as the movie but "address by a Sacramento NBA player?"  The first one I got was "Charlotte NBA player in charge of recycling," which is THE GREEN HORNET.  However, "Game notes for a New Orleans NBA player?" (THE PELICAN BRIEF) came slowly to me, because I totally spaced that the Jazz have not been a New Orleans team for quite some time.  I kept thinking, Jazz... notes?  But "notes" is already in the clue!

Anyhoo.

I have commented before how very often UTAH comes up as an answer clued by yet another park or natural attraction.  This time it's as home of the Anasazi State Park Museum.  There, you can explore an Ancestral Puebloan (Anasazi) village that was likely occupied from A.D. 1050 to 1200, one of the largest communities west of the Colorado River.  Outside the museum, there is a six-room replica of an ancient dwelling.  Inside, tourists view artifacts excavated from this site and learn the ways of these people.  The Anasazi people appeared as an answer on December 11, 2017.

I grew up on classic arcade games but have no memory of ASTRO Blaster.  It seems to be similar to Space Invaders.  It came out in 1981 and used speech synthesis.  It is the first video game to have a copyright registered in Japan.

"Flavorers in Italian cookery" is a tricky clues because the clue is plural but the answer does not end in the expected S.  It's ERBE, the Italian plural of erba, herb.

Clever clue: "Two-or four-seater, maybe?" is USHER.  "Grateful?' is ASHES.

Well, SCHIST, this was an easy one for me!  I felt like this puzzle was a breeze and should have run Tuesday, while yesterday's should have run today. I was impressed by some of the fill, like HIT THE WEIGHTS, MINORED IN, and CUTE AS A BUTTON.

No comments:

Post a Comment