Saturday, January 16, 2021

Saturday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: January 16, 2012















My time: 13:10, six minutes faster than average.  So, what's new?  Quite a lot. Let's get AT IT:

Sir GARETH is one of the Knights of the Round Table, the youngest son of King Lot and Morgause of Orkney, the youngest brother of Sir Gawain.  He is killed by his idol, Sir Lancelot.

I've heard of a banjolele, but not a guitalele, a "small hybrid instrument with six strings."  It is also called a kīkū.

EASTON, in today's puzzle, is not Bret Ellis, but a city in Philadelphia on the Delaware River

"Like a deaccessioned book" took a beat, because of the obscure term.  But it's EX LIB, which is taken out of the library.

STYRENE is a synthetic chemical that is used extensively in the manufacture of plastics, rubber, and resins.

"Company at which business always comes before pelasure?" was the first long clue I got: MERRIAM-WEBSTER.  Terrific fill, old joke.

The SARANAC River is an 81-mile river in New York that begins in the Adirondacks and empties into Lake Champlain at Pittsburgh.

I guess I never knew that bouillabaisse was a seafood dish.  The tidbit found in it may be a SCALLOP. 

I also didn't know that Bela Lugosi has a biography called The Immortal Count, but I knew he was Dracula so it was a pretty easy get.

"Comment that prompts the reply 'doitashimashite'" had me baffled.  I kept trying to parse the apparent gibberish.  Do it as him a shite?  But it's Japanese for you're welcome, so the answer is ARIGATO.

Apparently some Harry Potter scenes were filmed in BUSHEY, a town northwest of London.  Ha ha!  Bushey.

I've never heard of baseball poker.  In it, each player receives one card face down and then one card face up, dealt one at a time in rotation.  And bets are made in between deals.  And threes and NINES are wild for some reason.

Clever clue: "Be in charge: as a doctor?" is CALL THE SHOTS.  "Remains to be seen, say" is MUSEUM EXHIBIT.  "Layperson?" is MASON.  "Bass organ" is GILL.

This was a fun one!  I loved the long answers and the unusual fill like AT EASE, SOLDIER.

No comments:

Post a Comment