Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Wednesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: December 30, 2020















My time: 5:50, about 33 seconds short of the record.

Theme: the BILLY CLUB.  Each of the four themed answers begins with a famous Billy: Ocean, Crystal, Graham, and Billy Porter, an actor and singer.

I enjoyed the clue "Apple tool" because it could have been referring to the company or the fruit.  It turned out to be the latter (CORER), but I like the ambiguity.

"Chubby mouse in Disney's Cinderella" is GUS.  His friend's name is Jaq.

Never heard of MAISIE Dobbs, a detective in a series of books by Jacqueline Winspear.  The series is set in the 1930s.  I think I might like them!

I misread "do with a pick, maybe" as starting with a verb rather than the noun, a hairdo: FRO.

OBAMA has written more than a couple of books!  A Promised Land is a memoir of his time in the White House. 

"Southwestern evergreen" is PINYON, a pine with edible nuts.

It's not too hard to guess that Ilya Kuryakin's organization in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is the KGB.  I don't think I knew about the film.  Ilya was played by Armie Hammer.

LEAH, Rachel's sister in the Bible was just in the puzzle on August 17.

The ACELA corridor refers to a high-speed train from Boston to D.C., which has come up a few times.

This was a nice quick Wednesday.  I liked the selection of Billys.

No comments:

Post a Comment