Saturday, November 28, 2020

Saturday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: November 28, 2020


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 14:40, five minutes faster than average.

Okay, let's look at what I didn't know about.  ARE YOU GAME?

Donna TARTT is an American author, best known for her novel The Goldfinch.  She also wrote The Secret History, an inverted detective story in which the narrator explores the circumstances and lasting effects of a classmate's death on the academically and socially isolated group of Classics students of which he was a part. 

The official drink of Puerto Rico is the PINA COLADA.  Makes sense, I guess.  It was invented there.  The Caribe Hilton Hotel, one of the most famous in San Juan, is the setting for two of the origin stories of the piña colada. 

Shellfish have lots of IRON?  I was going to say salt.

Running backs and defensive ends are RUSHERS.  I was going to say players.

I kept reading "study pills" (PLACEBOS) as a verb and object, like the answer would be something akin to pharmacology.

I have not heard of Nevada senator Jacky ROSEN.  A Democrat, she was a Congresswoman before being elected to the senate in 2019.

The Old English word for OCT, Winterfylleth, came up on Winterfylleth 4.

Simeon II, ruler of Bulgaria and last figure to call himself TSAR, last appeared on May 5, 2018.

Clever clues: "Move to a later date, say" is TIME TRAVEL (that one gave me a lot of trouble).  "Firm requirement, for short" is MBA.  "Style guide?" is DRESS CODE.  "Really dig" is PROBE.  "One who passes the bar?" is TEETORALER (I immediately wanted to put alcoholic, which fits).

This was a very nice Saturday puzzle.  I liked the modern, fun fill, like DROP A LINE, SMART MONEY, FROG PRINCE, POWER SUITS, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment