Friday, November 13, 2020

Friday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: November 13, 2020

 














My time: 10:11, five minutes faster than average.  I'M ON A ROLL!

All right! On to the fill of this spooooky Friday the 13th puzzle! Just kidding, it isn't at all spooooky.  LET'S DANCE!

Apparently TUPAC had a song titled "Dear Mama." 

Oh, how many times in this blog have I bemoaned the fact that I don't know the Greek letters in order?  Alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, ZETA, ETA, Theta.

Actress and comedian Awkwafina appeared on October 1 clued s her birth name, NORA Lum.  Today the clue is the show she co-created, "NORA From Queens."

I believe I have mentioned how much I hate clues that ask what key something is in.  Dvorak's "Serenade for Strings" is in E MAJ.  Okay, so?

NO ONE would indeed be a very disappointing turnout. 

"I-" is type of ANION, or a negatively charged ion due to having more electrons than protons. I- is iodide.

"Heart" is EMOTION... I had a hard time parsing that, but it's as in "He played piano with a lot of heart."

Most common papal name is JOHN.  There have been twenty Pope Johns, which is interesting because the latest one was John XXIII.

Types of edible SEAWEED in Japanese cuisine include hijiki and arame.  Hijiki supposedly has a forestal, umami, mushroomy taste. Arame is a mild-tasting kelp.

Clever clues: "Place for a monitor" is HALL.  "Park in NYC" is AVE — Park Avenue, not a park named Avenue.  "Line upon arrival" had me thinking of line of people to get in somewhere, but it's a spoken line: HERE WE ARE! "Early tablet user" is MOSES.  "It may be measured in feet" is POEM.

I liked this puzzle!  There was some good fill, like HERE WE ARE, SCHNOZ, EASY AS PIE, NO WORRIES, UP TO YOU, and so forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment