Monday, October 12, 2020

Monday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: October 12, 2020

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 6:18, about 45 seconds slower than average.  This one really kicked me around the block.  All the cylinders weren't firing tonight, I guess.  Maybe I shouldn't have been watching "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" while I was solving.  But it's so funny!

Beyond that, though, things just weren't clicking tonight.  I wasn't thinking NACHO for "snack chip," more along the lines of Frito.  "Parts of gas stoves" did not make me think of BROILERS.

Theme: FLOWER / GARDEN.  Four shaded pairs of down squares represent the "stems" of the flowers, while the names of the flowers are found in a ring of circled squares clockwise and then reading down the stems. 

For "sharp or sour in taste" I put *ACRID and was displeased to find the intended answer to be the much worse ACIDY.

I was similarly disappointed to find "fireplace log holders" the clue for GRATES.  I think of a log holder as an andiron or fire-dog.

While I'm going on in this vein, I think "that was fortunate" is a bad clue for GOOD THING.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, is home to COE College, which was last seen in the blog on July 11, 2018

Ancient Irish crowning stone LIA Fáil last appeared December 13, 2017.

And that wraps up this meh Monday.  I think a lot of solvers found this puzzle to be slow going.  The theme is fine enough, but I think some of the cluing isn't as finessed as it could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment