Monday, September 28, 2020

Monday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: September 28, 2020

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 3:42, very good!

Theme: five words are reclued as if they were to be read as [verb] a [noun].  So METAPHYSICIAN is clued as "was introduced to the doctor?" as in met a physician.  And PANASONIC is clued as "criticize Sega's hedgehog design?" or pan a Sonic.

There were two clues that struck me as poorly written and/or edited.  PROPAGATE is clued as "support the pasture entrance?"  That's a little odd.  Is a gate only a pasture entrance?  Are there no other gates?  And CARDAMOM, an Indian spice, is clued as "check someone's parent to make sure she's of drinking age?"  That is, card a mom. But it's so wordy; why not just "check a parent's ID?"

I've heard of JOAN Didion but not her 1970 book Play It as It Lays, a grim novel about a self-destructive woman who is drawn to the seedy sides of 1960s Los Angeles and New York.

The Egyptian-set opera "Aida" is a crossword mainstay, but usually it's the opera found in the grid, not the composer VERDI.

I really should learn more capitals.  RIGA, the largest city in the Baltic states, is the capital of Latvia.

"Corsage flower" is ORCHID. I don't think I ever would have guessed that.  I think I only know carnation corsages.

This was a quick and easy Monday, with a fun theme that made me smile, despite my MINOR quibble with a couple of the clues.  I think on the whole this one is ON A PAR with some of the best Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment