Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Tuesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: August 18, 2020

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 4:37, close to my record!

Theme: AMENDMENT XIX, which involved WOMEN'S SUFFRAGE, ratified exactly 100 years ago today.  Related theme answers are: CONSTITUTION, which the Amendment changed; ALICE PAUL; and TENNESSEE, the 36th and final state to ratify the 19th.

ALICE PAUL is new to me; the daughter of Quakers, she initiated and campaigned for women's voting rights, the Equal Rights Amendment, and the Civil Rights Act.

"Piece for Leontyne Price" is ARIA; I had never heard of the singer.  A soprano, she was the first African American to become a leading performer at the Metropolitan Opera.

I've said it before; to be a real crossword master, you have to know the world capitals!  I don't.  Pristina is the capital of KOSOVO.  The area what is now Pristina has been inhabited for nearly 10,000 years, but the first historical record mentioning Pristina by its name dates back to 1342.

I read the book, years ago, but forgot that the heroine of The Good Earth is O-LAN.

Clever clue: "A choir might sing in it" is UNISON.

And that's about it for things I wondered about.  I love that this theme got to run on this day, and I love that there were five themed answers.  Very well done!  And now, I shall RETIRE.

No comments:

Post a Comment