Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Tuesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: August 4, 2020

























My time: 7:14, just below average.

Theme: FORSAKE ("abandon"), but also read as for _______'s sake ("two words often seen next to the starts of" the themed Across answers).  Thus you get for PETE'S sake, for CHRIST'S sake, for GOD'S sake, and so on.  I feel like they're going to get angry letters from religious types for this frivolous use of desultory blasphemy.

Hey look, it's the normal term JOIST instead of the endless I-bar, I-beam, H-beam, and so forth!

I did not know that CAIRO is the "city of a thousand minarets."  Not to be confused with Prague, city of a hundred spires.

GOD'S LITTLE ACRE is a 1933 dark comedy novel by Erskine Caldwell, about farmer Ty Ty Walden, who tears up his field to find gold.  Caldwell also wrote Tobacco Road.

THEDA Bara was a silent film actress known for the 1917 Cleopatra and the 1915 Carmen.  She is the originator of the term "vamp" for seductive actress, from her roll as the "vampire" (a predatory woman) in 1915's A Fool There Was.  Born Theodosia Goodman, she took the stage name possibly because it's an anagram for "Arab Death."

The term "supermodel" seems to be applied to every single person who ever posed for a picture these days.  I've never heard of South Sudanese-British model ALEK Wek.

I like some of the fill in this one, like JAPE and JEER in the top corners, PHOTOGENIC, and RHINOCEROS.  But EPEEISTS is not good.

Golfer Michelle WIE has appeared a couple of times before.

I don't know why today took so long.  There wasn't too much here that was difficult, and I got the theme soon enough.  Oh well.  I won't mope, sad and LORN ("bereft, old style").

No comments:

Post a Comment