Thursday, August 20, 2020

Thursday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: August 20, 2020

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My TIME: 9:46, pretty good.

Theme: A Wrinkle in TIME, the book, making it so the letters T-I-M-E (not ever spelling that word alone) are written with a "wrinkle" — up, across, and down again, as shown in yellow.  So, er, um, what I meant was shows up like WHATEANT WAS, with the IM resting above the TE.  It made for some tricky solving, despite the fact I found a majority of the clues quite easy.

Mens REA, Latin for "guilty mind," is a legal term indicating the intention or knowledge of wrongdoing that constitutes part of a crime, as opposed to the action or conduct of the accused.  That's the LAW for you!  Broken but never fixed.

Continuing with Latin 101,  LOC. cit., short for loco citato (meaning "in the place cited") is a footnote or endnote term used to repeat the title and page number for a given work (and author). Loc. cit. is used in place of ibid. when the reference is not only to the work immediately preceding, but also refers to the same page. It is also opposed to op. cit., using the same page rather than a different one.

The Oldsmobile Alero comes up a lot, but I think this is the first time I've seen the CIERA.

I didn't know the ring-shaped cutters attached to drills, which I have used before, are called HOLE SAWS.

I guess I forgot about MORT/IM/ER MOUSE, who is Mickey's rival for Minnie's heart.   With his porkpie hat and overbite, why he would catch Minnie's eye is anybody's guess.  He made his official debut in the 1936 short, aptly titled "Mickey's Rival."

I'm aware of the show "The L-WORD," but didn't know there was a sequel series called "Generation Q." 

I didn't know Peter LORRE, one of my favorites, was in the 1954 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.  He played the Conseil.

The Romanian currency LEU has appeared a few times before

QB protectors the O-LINE came up on January 25, 2018

Kitchen brand OXO has appeared often enough that I think I know it now.

Clever clue: "Request that's risky if you're over 18?"  Not beer me.  HIT ME, like in blackjack.

And that puts the ICINGS ("finishing touches") on this blog post!  On to Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment