Saturday, August 22, 2020

Saturday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: August 22, 2020

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 10:55, pretty darn good for a Saturday.

Okay, let's get down to business

For "Gifford's talk show successor" I put *KOTB, mixing up my lines of TV talk show successions.  She's the co-host of the "Today" show.  "Gifford" is Kathy Lee Gifford, of "Regis and Kathy Lee," which later became "Live with Regis and Kelly," meaning Kelly RIPA.  As of this writing, the show is known as "Live with Kelly and Ryan," meaning Ryan Seacrest.  RIP Regis.

For "some pricey cars" I put *GTOS.  I don't know if they're particularly pricey.  Then I tried *XKES, which at least turned out to be the right make.  But it's just the model, JAGS.

ERIK has appeared a lot in the puzzle, but never have I seen it clued as "leading role in Phantom of the Opera."  ERIK, real name unknown, is the hideously deformed ex-assassin who works on the Paris Opéra and secretly builds hidden passageways for himself, and then kidnaps Christine's lover and makes her listen to his tragic compositions for piano.

So, I never read or saw "Phantom of the Opera."  But I have heard of HENRI Bergson, Stiller and MEARA, Giuseppe GARIBALDI, and Dorian Gray's OPIUM DEN.  So I lucked out on a lot of clues that others might have drawn a blank on. 

Just so I don't get too puffed up, I'd like to state for the record that I had *ONION MACK (possibly some type of rain gear?) for "British flier" for a good long time, and wondered vaguely what was wrong with it.

"Relative of a tie in music" is gibberish to me, and the answer, SLUR, did not help at all.  I know nothing about reading music, notation, or music theory.   It turns out that in music notation, a tie is drawn as an arc-shaped line connecting two identical notes.  The pair of tied notes acts as one note with their rhythmic values added together.  A SLUR is like a tie, but applies to two or more different notes and means the two different notes should be played legato (smoothly).

"Beer with a triangular logo" turns out to be BASS ALE.  I have never drunk beer.  This site says it's just "okay."

For "do some fast data processing?" (CRAM) I put in *SKIM, which combined with the aforementioned *KOTB kept the northwest corner in a state of confusion for a good while.

"Waves of New Agers?" kept me befuddled for a while also.  I'm still not sure how AURAS are waves.

Never heard of GRETA Gerwig, director of Little Women and writer of Lady Bird, a fantastic film.

Clever clue: "Pole position?" is AXIS, as in the axis of the earth at the poles. 

That's it!  So I did rather well today.  IN YOUR FACE!  Sorry, that was SASSIER than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment