Friday, August 28, 2020

Friday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: August 28, 2020

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My time: 13:06, a few minutes quicker than average.  I got through a large portion of it in under four minutes, then ground to a stop and it was only slow going from there.

I was AT A LOSS ("stuck") in the northwest corner because "[C'mon, the light turned green!]" is obviously *HONK but no, they went with the far inferior TOOT.

For "dish that might be garnished with nori or negi" I put *SUSHI but it's RAMEN.  Nori is edible seaweed that sushi is wrapped in.  Negi is a type of Japanese green onion and it is in fact a common sushi condiment.  So my answer was better! 

"Gaelic name for Scotland"is ALBA, which confused me because Albion is England.

Actually, the whole north edge gave me trouble.  For "go for the bronze?" I saw the pun and immediately wrote *TAN but they wanted SUN.

"Camera film speed inits." is ISO, which stands for International Organization for Standardization (in the original French, I'm assuming).  It's a camera setting that will brighten or darken a photo.

The ELANTRA, like the Sonata, is made by Hyundai. 

Apparently Marcel Marceau is famous for his character BIP the Clown.  BIP was a symbol of hope for the Jewish Marceau; modelled after his movie hero, Charlie Chaplin’s Little Tramp, Bip was the classic underdog dressed in a striped shirt, white sailor pants and a battered top hat with a single red flower sprouting from the lid.

The clue that had solvers all over the world sprinting for their dictionaries?  "Oscine : songbird :: psittacine : " PARROT.  I had *RAPTOR at first.

Clever clues: "Get on board?" is SURF.  "Professional pitcher" is SALES REP.

Well, this was a tricky Friday all around.  Definitely not one of my BESTS, but at least I learned something!  For now.  After three or four more reappearances in future puzzles, some of these may sink in.  Memory like a sieve, THAT'S ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment