Friday, July 24, 2020

Friday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: July 24, 2020

























My time: 8:57, just three little seconds short of my Friday record!  Wowsa!  I should have hurried more.

The distinctive thing about this puzzle is the grid shape that leads to lots of long answers.  There's a lot of rare and fun fill here, like STEAMBOAT WILLIE, HALF-NELSON, GOING VIRAL, PULL RANK ON, and BOSS BATTLE.  I'm not so sure about the plural MICROFILMS.  Maybe as a verb?

ELON, the private university in Elon, North Carolina (home of the Fightin' Phoenix!) has appeared quite a few times before.

Longfellow's "The Bell of ATRI" was explained on April 10, 2018.

Racecar driver ARIE Luyendyk, "The Flying Dutchman," appeared on October 28, 2018.

I have never heard of the Stone of Hope; it's the name for the granite statue of Martin Luther KING in Washington DC.

Clever clues: "A lot of volume?" is TOME.  I had put *TONE thinking, sort of, about hair volume; I know it doesn't really work. "Free money?" is BAIL.  "Trying to untie?" is IS OVERTIME — that was a tough one.

This was a fun puzzle, with lots of original, modern fill and a different style grid.  I'd like to see more like this; hope it's not just a ONE-OFF.

No comments:

Post a Comment