Monday, June 29, 2020

Monday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: June 29, 2020

























My time: 3:53, about twenty seconds short of a Monday record!

The theme today seems to be "two-word phrases, of which the second word's letters appear in order within the first word."  For example, in SENATE SEAT, the letters of "seat" appear in the first word, as shown by the shaded letters.  The letters of "sound" appear in the "surround" part of SURROUND SOUND, and so on.  This theme is not addressed, as far as I recall, in the puzzle itself.  Hmm.

Apparently I.M. PEI won a PRITZKER PRIZE, an architecture prize, founded in 1979 and carrying a $100,000 award.  Pei won in 1983.

Racecar guy Al UNSER appeared back on December 3, 2018.

Clever clue: "Long lunches?" is HEROS.

For "row of bushes" I put *COPSE like an idiot (that's too abstruse for a Monday, and also that usually refers to trees).  Without that error, I might have broken my old record!  Now we'll never know.  No need to SOB about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment