Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Tuesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: February 5, 2019

My time: 4:15, a new record!

--

Erik Agard thought today's theme out pretty carefully, and it made me chuckle.  The three themed answers are READY WHEN YOU ARE, DANNY AINGE ("Celtics player turned executive"), and BREATH MINT.  If you take the last word of each one and say them aloud together --- are, ainge, mint, it SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN.  Ha!

DANNY AINGE was a shooting guard for the Celtics from 1981-95.  He is the only person to be named a high school first team All-American in American football, basketball, and baseball.

The Prime Minister of the UK for one year in 1963-64 was ALEC Douglas-Home.  He was a steady, aristocratic hand that fought against Soviet intrusion and pushed for African home rule.

The Indiana Fever and the Atlanta Dream are two teams in the WNBA.

Iowa republican senator JONI Ernst was discussed on April 22, 2018.

I loved the pun in the theme and I loved the fill as well.  IMAC PRO, INSTINCTUAL, and UP AGAINST IT spice up the grid.  A great puzzle, and I zoomed past my old time by six whole seconds without any AID.

No comments:

Post a Comment