Monday, January 28, 2019

Monday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: January 28, 2019

My time: 4:54.

--

Thomas Van Geel celebrates the crowdfunding site KICKSTARTER in this puzzle.  The three themed entries, admirable inclusions all, are FREECYLING, SIDE HUSTLE ("extra job in the gig economy"), and DROP THE MIC.  The kicker here is that all three start with a kick: free kick, sidekick, and dropkick.

I'm not a clothes hound, fashion plate, or sneaker head.  So I had a hard time spelling FILAS.

For ex-senator ____ Bayh I initially put *ERIN.  It's EVAN Bayh, Democratic governor and senator from Indiana.

The Greek alphabet comes up often enough that I ought to at least try to remember some of it.  Second letter after epsilon? Alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta, ETA, theta, iota, kappa.

And second letter after upsilon?  CHI.  Upsilon, phi, chi, psi, omega.

I have never heard of the OLIVETTI, an Italian manufacturer of typewriters, tablets, smartphones, and computers.

Broccoli RABE last came up on October 17, 2018.

LYE was clued as NaOH on October 28, 2017.

Today's time was nothing to SMIRK AT, but my AIM is to do better.  Well, SHALOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment