Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Tuesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: December 4, 2018

My time: 4:47.

--

Peter Gordon makes us all super solvers with this puzzle, which celebrates... uh, the SS?  Probably not.  But the theme is phrases with two words that both start with S, so whether there's a reason or not, there it is.  Best crossword in the solar system?  Or the seven seas?  I wouldn't go that far.  It's fun and I learned something, though.

One phrase I'm not too familiar with is SAMPLE SALE, a "clothing store event to get rid of excess merchandise."

One answer that I had totally forgotten about is SYLVIA SIMS, a jazz cabaret and pop singer.  She is often confused with the British actress of the same name.  She was featured on this blog way back on November 18, 2017.  Here she is clued as having been given the nickname "Buddha" by Frank Sinatra.

The other themed answers are SECRET SERVICE, SOMEDAY SOON, SIMPLE SIMON, AND "SUDDENLY SUSAN."

It's Carl ICAHN again!  I remembered him this time.

Clever clues: "Good name for a dyslexic neurosurgeon?" is BRIAN.  "Word before cells or sells" is SEX.  "Hot Chocolate or Vanilla Fudge" is BANDS.  "Bye at the French Open?" is AU REVOIR.  "Where the buoys are" is SEA.

This was a quick and fun puzzle.  I especially liked the fun but easy joke clues, perfect for a Tuesday.  Veyr good time for me, too.  NEXT!

No comments:

Post a Comment