Thursday, September 13, 2018

Thursday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: September 13, 2018

My time: 10:47.

--

I was very impressed with this Alex Eaton-Salners creation, which is --- surprise! --- a rebus.  Playing off the old office stable of the [IN] BOX ("where work piles up"and the [OUT] BOX ("where finished work goes"), he has placed [IN] and [OUT] in their own boxes.  Four of the Across answers contain both boxes.

The most impressive instances of this are the grid-spanning THE FOUNTA[IN] OF Y[OUT]H and FROTH[IN]G AT THE M[OUT]H.  Another example, "finding fault with," is CARP[IN]G AB[OUT].

For "fermented milk drink" I stubbornly stuck with *LASSI, even as in the back of my head I knew it was more probably KEFIR.  Likewise, I stuck with "skirt features" *PLEATS when it's FLARES.

"They can be taxed like partnerships" is LLCS.  These were last seen on December 17, 2017.

I can't say I watch a lot of "Dancing With the Stars," so I didn't know the name of the co-host ER[IN] Andrews, 2007's "America's Sexiest Sportscaster."

Cliff Robertson played CHARLY Gordon in 1968's CHARLY, based on Daniel Keyes' 1966 story-turned-novel Flowers for Algernon.  He also played Ben Parker in the first Spider-Man series.

Dick ENBERG was a sportscaster for CBS, NBC, and NBC.  He was never, ever voted "America's Sexiest Sportscaster."  His catchphrases were "touch 'em all" (the bases) and "Oh, my!"  Move over, George Takei!

Now this is actually an interesting tidbit: in 1324, King Edward II defined ONE INCH as the length of three barleycorns.  This had actually been the case since 1066, but he enacted it as the legal definition: "three grains of barley, dry and round, placed end to end, lengthwise."

Clever clues: "Made a false move?" is DEKED, a hockey term that I know now!  "beach house?" is SHELL.  "The end of mathematics?" is QED.  "Place to get one's kicks?" is DOJO.

Well, this is the kind of cruciverbing that can AMAZE you.  Nice job, Alex!  OLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment